Can Your Guardian Angel Be Someone You Knew?
The concept of guardian angels is found in many spiritual and religious traditions. A guardian angel is generally thought of as a spiritual being who protects and guides a particular person.
But could your own guardian angel actually be someone you knew in life – a deceased loved one perhaps? Let’s explore this fascinating question in more detail.
What Are Guardian Angels?
According to spiritual beliefs, each person is assigned a guardian angel at birth. The role of this angel is to watch over and protect that person, especially from physical harm. Guardian angels are sometimes depicted in art as hovering near their human charge.
Guardian angels are said to:
- Offer protection, guidance and wisdom
- Comfort us during difficult times
- Send us subtle signs and synchronicities
- Intervene during dangerous situations
- Shield us from evil influences
- Help fulfill our life purpose
Not everyone believes in literal angels of course. Some view the ‘guardian angel’ concept as symbolic rather than actual spiritual beings. However many do believe we each have a spiritual protector watching over us.
Where Does the Notion of Guardian Angels Come From?
The concept of protective guardian spirits dates back thousands of years. Examples include:
- Ancient Egypt – Each person was thought to be accompanied through life by a ‘ka’ or spirit double.
- Ancient Greece – Personal daimons were believed to influence human lives.
- Roman mythology – Each person had a ‘genius’ – a guardian spirit.
- Abrahamic religions – Angels are referenced throughout the Bible, Torah, and Quran.
- Zoroastrianism – Personal guardian spirits called ‘fravashi’ protect the soul.
- Hinduism – Gods may intervene in human affairs in the form of avatars.
So the basic notion of spiritual guardians has very deep roots across human cultures.
Guardian Angels in Christianity
In Christianity, guardian angels are said to be assigned by God to watch over each person. Various Bible verses refer to angels protecting and guiding people on God’s behalf.
Some key concepts about guardian angels from Christianity include:
- They are spiritual beings created by God.
- They can physically intervene to protect people in times of danger.
- They act according to God’s will to help people.
- They do not have wings, halos, or human form as in art.
- They are said to be concerned with even the littlest children.
- People can form bonds with their guardian angels.
Many Christians pray to their guardian angel when in need of protection or guidance. However, others argue the Bible prohibits praying to angels.
Overall the concept of guardian angels remains popular in Christianity, even if their exact nature and role is debated.
Can Your Guardian Angel Be Someone You Knew Before?
This brings us to the key question – is it possible your guardian angel is actually a deceased loved one, such as a family member or friend who has passed on?
There are differing perspectives on this:
- The traditional view is that guardian angels are distinct spiritual beings created by God, not former human souls. Their role is to watch over humans on behalf of God.
- Some believe angels can be human souls who have finished their life on earth, then take on an angelic role. This includes ancestors and loved ones acting as guardian angels.
- Others suggest human souls may volunteer or be assigned as guardian angels after death. This explains stories of people feeling they are being watched over by a deceased relative.
- Orthodox Christianity rejects the notion that guardian angels are former human beings. Angels are seen as a separate order of spiritual creation.
There are many anecdotal stories of people sensing the presence of a deceased loved one during difficult times, or even seeing them during near death experiences.
Psychics often tell clients that departed family members have become guardian angels. This brings comfort to many people.
So according to more liberal spiritual views, your angel could indeed be a soul you were close to in this life. But conservative Christian doctrine rejects this idea.
Famous Examples of Loved Ones as Guardian Angels
There are many touching stories about people experiencing guardian angels who were once part of their lives:
- Mark Twain reportedly saw visions of his deceased brother leading him away from The Titanic voyage on which he was supposed to die. Twain took this as a sign and cancelled his ticket.
- Victoria Stafford says she saw the spirit of her grandfather steering her car to safety seconds before a terrible crash that would have killed her.
- Joan of Arc said angels that guided her, including the archangel Michael, were martyrs and clergy she recognized from her village.
- The film It’s a Wonderful Life depicts the main character’s guardian angel as someone he knew on earth who had passed on.
While anecdotal, these kinds of stories lend weight to the view that guardian angels can be people you once knew.
Potential Problems with Deceased Loved Ones as Guardian Angels
Despite many believing their guardian angel is a departed relative or friend, some issues are raised with this view:
- It implies the souls of dead humans can influence the material world, which goes against traditional Christian doctrine about the afterlife.
- How could one previously human soul have the wisdom and power to guard someone’s entire life? Actual angels are infinitely wise spiritual beings.
- It may lead people to pray to deceased souls instead of God. This is seen as idolatry in traditional religion.
- Souls need to spiritually heal and detach from the material world after death before moving higher. Guardianship delays this and ties them to earth still.
- God assigns guardian angels so they are under divine authority. Deceased humans acting as angels are not sanctioned by God in this view.
So while the notion of a loved one becoming your angel is comforting, some argue it has conceptual problems from a religious perspective.
Evidence That Your Guardian Angel Is Someone You Know
Is there any convincing evidence that departed friends or family can literally become your guardian angel? Some potential signs include:
- Seeing clear visions or having vivid dreams of that person guiding you.
- Moments where you vividly sense their presence or hear their voice.
- Having their image inexplicably appear in photos, videos or other media.
- Meaningful messages through psychics that could only come from that person.
- Strange phone calls or technology interactions from their number or device after death.
- Uncanny and helpful advice or ideas that you feel is from their spirit.
- Their favorite signs and symbols repeatedly appearing during pivotal moments.
- Sensing their presence strongly during prayer or meditation.
- Confirmed premonitions they shared about guiding you after death.
Any pattern of compelling spiritual experiences like these may indicate contact from a loved one in the angelic role. But such ‘evidence’ would still be considered inconclusive by skeptics.
Tips for Connecting With Your Guardian Angel
If you feel your guardian angel is really a departed loved one, here are some tips to strengthen your connection:
- Talk to them inwardly – Have regular conversations in your mind. Share your feelings honestly. Ask for their guidance and protection.
- Listen closely – Pay attention to mental prompts, whispers, feelings or visions you receive in response. These will be subtle so concentration is required.
- Send your love – Direct love energy from your heart to your angel. This strengthens your energetic bond with them.
- Notice signs – Watch for their favorite symbols, numbers, animals, songs etc. as signs of their presence.
- Say thanks – Express regular gratitude to your angel for their help, as you would when they were alive.
- Don’t get attached – While you can have a close bond with your angel, avoid clinging to their past identity or expecting constant contact.
The most important thing is to simply be open to experiencing your departed loved one in the angelic role. With the right awareness and attitude, profound connections are possible.
Why Have Guardian Angels at All?
Assuming guardian angels exist, why does God or the Universe send them? What purpose do they serve?
Some potential reasons for us having guardian angels include:
- To protect us from harm and danger.
- To guide major life decisions and steer our path.
- To prompt spiritual growth and wisdom within us.
- To provide friendship and reduce loneliness.
- To help us realize we are never truly alone.
- To remind us of God/Spirit’s unconditional love.
- To help fulfill our unique life purpose and destiny.
- To anchor light throughout the world via each person.
From this perspective, angels are kindly spirits who want the best for us and cheer us on. Having this spiritual companionship and divine connection can bring great comfort.
We may never have absolute proof that guardian angels exist or learn their exact nature. But the possibility remains that someone once close to you could now be guiding you from beyond the veil as an angelic light. As long as this belief fills you with hope and spiritual strength, it has value in itself. Perhaps the deepest answer lies in what your own heart and intuition tell you. With an open mind, the true nature of guardian angels can be discovered.
- The concept of individual guardian angels exists in many spiritual traditions across history. They are said to protect and guide each person.
- In Christianity, God assigns guardian angels to each soul. But their exact metaphysical nature is debated.
- Some believe departed loved ones can become guardian angels. But orthodox Christianity rejects this idea, saying angels are distinct spiritual beings.
- Meaningful signs like visions or sensed presences may indicate contact from a deceased person in the angelic role. But skeptics remain unconvinced by such anecdotal reports.
- If you feel your guardian angel is a loved one, talking to them inwardly and listening for responses can strengthen your connection.
- Remember to show gratitude for any angels in your life, even if their origins remain a comforting mystery.
So in the end, the question of whether your angel could be someone you once knew still elicits much discussion. But a guardian angel’s wisdom and motivations may be beyond human understanding. With an open and discerning mind, we can each come to our own conclusions.