Love is a beautiful blessing from God. The Bible has so many wonderful verses that describe the powerful bond of love between a man and woman in a godly marriage. These sweet verses remind us of God’s design for romantic relationships and the sacred covenant of marriage.
What Does the Bible Say About Love and Marriage?
The Bible makes it clear that romantic love is a gift from God. Marriage is to be an earthly representation of Christ’s love for the church. The love between a husband and wife should be selfless, sacrificial, pure, and unconditional.
Here are some key Bible verses about love and marriage:
“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.” (1 Corinthians 13:4-8)
“Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her.” (Ephesians 5:25)
“Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord.” (Ephesians 5:22)
These verses emphasize the sacrificial, selfless nature of godly love in marriage. The husband is called to lead with gentle, selfless love like Christ. The wife is called to graciously submit to her husband’s loving leadership.
47 Sweet Bible Verses About True Love in Marriage
Here are 47 beautiful Bible verses about the powerful bond of love between a husband and wife. These verses are heartwarming reminders of God’s design for marriage.
Old Testament Verses About Love and Marriage
The Old Testament provides a foundation for God’s design for romantic relationships. Here are some meaningful verses from the Old Testament:
- “This is why a man leaves his father and mother and bonds with his wife, and they become one flesh.” (Genesis 2:24)
- “Place me like a seal over your heart, like a seal on your arm. For love is as strong as death, its jealousy as enduring as the grave. Love flashes like fire, the brightest kind of flame.” (Song of Songs 8:6)
- “Who can find a wife of noble character? She is far more precious than rubies. Her husband trusts her without reserve, and she provides him only good all the days of her life.” (Proverbs 31:10,12)
- “May your fountain be blessed, and may you rejoice in the wife of your youth.” (Proverbs 5:18)
- “Love your father and mother. Always be true to your wife.” (Proverbs 5:20, CEV)
- “Enjoy life with the wife whom you love.” (Ecclesiastes 9:9, NIV)
- “How beautiful you are, my darling! Oh, how beautiful!” (Song of Songs 1:15)
- “My beloved is mine and I am his.” (Song of Songs 2:16)
- “My lover is radiant and ruddy, he stands out among thousands. He is my best friend and closest neighbor.” (Song of Songs 5:10,16)
- “His left hand is under my head, and his right arm embraces me.” (Song of Songs 2:6)
- “I am my beloved’s and he is mine.” (Song of Songs 6:3)
- “You have stolen my heart with one glance of your eyes.” (Song of Songs 4:9)
These Old Testament verses emphasize the emotional and physical connection between husband and wife. They speak of the joy, desire, trust, friendship, and commitment that come with true love in marriage.
New Testament Verses About Love and Marriage
The New Testament affirms God’s design for marriage and expounds on the nature of godly love between husband and wife:
- “Wives, submit yourselves to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord. Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them.” (Colossians 3:18-19)
- “However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.” (Ephesians 5:33)
- “In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself.” (Ephesians 5:28)
- “Husbands, love your wives and do not be bitter toward them.” (Colossians 3:19)
- “You husbands in the same way, live with your wives in an understanding way.” (1 Peter 3:7)
- “Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled.” (Hebrews 13:4)
- “Do not deprive one another except with consent for a time that you may give yourselves to fasting and prayer, and come together again so that Satan does not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.” (1 Corinthians 7:5)
- “A husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise a wife to her husband.” (1 Corinthians 7:3)
- “Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly love, a tender heart, and a humble mind.” (1 Peter 3:8)
These verses affirm the importance of mutual love, respect, intimacy, understanding, and selflessness between a husband and wife.
Bible Verses About God’s Love and Faithfulness
In addition to verses focused specifically on marriage, the Bible has many passages that describe the nature of godly love. These verses remind us how God designed us to love:
- “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.” (1 Corinthians 13:4-5)
- “And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.” (1 Corinthians 13:13)
- “Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God.” (1 John 4:7)
- “Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good…Be devoted to one another in love.” (Romans 12:9-10)
- “Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.” (1 Peter 4:8)
- “We love because he first loved us.” (1 John 4:19)
- “There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear.” (1 John 4:18)
- “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment.” (Matthew 22:37-38)
- “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love.” (John 15:9)
God’s perfect, sacrificial love empowers our own ability to love others. Remembering how God loves us can inspire greater love in our marriages.
Bible Verses About Seeking God in Marriage and Family
It’s important to remember that human love flows out of God’s love. A marriage centered on Christ is the most sure foundation for lasting love.
- “Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labor in vain.” (Psalm 127:1)
- “Put God first, do what he wants, and he’ll give you what you need.” (Matthew 6:33, MSG)
- “May the Lord make your love increase and overflow for each other and for everyone else.” (1 Thessalonians 3:12)
- “Teach the older men…to be temperate, worthy of respect, self-controlled, and sound in faith, in love and in endurance.” (Titus 2:2)
- “Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.” (Ephesians 6:4)
- “He who finds a wife finds what is good and receives favor from the Lord.” (Proverbs 18:22)
- “Do not be mismatched with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?” (2 Corinthians 6:14)
- “For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen.” (2 Corinthians 4:17-18)
God cares deeply about your marriage and family. Seek Him first and trust His guidance, even when facing trials.
Bible Verses About Love’s Qualities
What does true love really look like in action? Here are some verses that describe love’s endearing qualities:
- “Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful.” (1 Corinthians 13:4-5)
- “Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.” (Philippians 2:3-4)
- “Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends.” (1 Corinthians 13:7-8)
- “Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.” (Ephesians 4:2)
- “Clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive one another.” (Colossians 3:12-13)
- “Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.” (1 John 3:18)
True love goes far beyond feeling. It is displayed through serving, caring, sacrificing, and embracing our beloved flaws and all.
Bible Verses About the Power of Love
God’s love has great power to change our lives and relationships for the better. These verses remind us of love’s power:
- “There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear.” (1 John 4:18)
- “Hatred stirs up conflict, but love covers over all wrongs.” (Proverbs 10:12)
- “And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.” (Colossians 3:14)
Never underestimate the power of sincere, committed love centered on God’s will. It can overcome amazing obstacles and change lives.
Applying God’s Word to Our Marriages
The Bible offers amazing insight into God’s design for lasting, passionate love between husband and wife. We honor Him when we strive to love each other with the same grace, mercy, sincerity, and sacrifice that He has shown us.
These beautiful verses remind us to stay rooted in God’s Word, keep Christ at the center, and nurture our marriages with constant love and devotion. They encourage husbands to gently lead with humble authority and grace. They teach wives to embrace their role as helper and partner with care and wisdom.
Marriage is a precious gift from God. It takes commitment, compassion, and wisdom from both the husband and wife to grow a marriage that flourishes for a lifetime. But with God at the center of your relationship, all things are possible. You can overcome obstacles, weather trials, and build a deep bond of companionship and passion that glorifies God’s name.
May these verses inspire you to cherish your spouse and invest daily in your marriage. With God’s help, the love between you will only grow sweeter and stronger as the decades pass.